Saturday, October 30, 2010

Podcasting

This was a very interesting section of this class for the simple fact that I’ve had an iPod since they came out and I have never known what a podcast was. I always scrolled through iTunes and saw them but I never actually downloaded 1 because I guess all I was really interested in was music and the games. From the reading and from the video, I just learned how useful they are a lot of different situations such as listening to a class lecture that you may have missed or just want to listen too on your own to study. Not only are they very useful but they are also very simple and cheap to make to make. There are several ways that podcasting could be used in the classroom from study resources to projects for students. Podcasting could be a very useful tool for teachers especially if they record their lectures or even just important classes such as a test review day or something like that. It may be a little more work for the teacher to do this and upload the podcast, but in the end I think it would be beneficial to the students. This is a helpful tool for students because if a student does miss a class period then they can catch up on the work or see whatever homework they might have missed, but this is in no way trying to promote missing classes. This could also be a resourceful tool for students who came to class because some may want to study at home or somewhere on their own time but not want to read or may not even have the book. Podcasting can also be used by the student if a teacher wants to make a project for the student to make a podcast over a certain subject.

The podcasting to me is a big difference from the web 2.0 applications that we have already studied. The only thing that is similar to the podcasting is the voice thread because there is voice, but the podcasting is that plus a lot more. The podcasting has voice thread along with visuals that the creator can add anything to that they want to show the person that is watching. The podcasting to me is a big difference from the web 2.0 applications that we have already studied. The only thing that is similar to the podcasting is the voice thread because there is voice, but the podcasting is that plus a lot more. The podcasting has voice thread along with visuals that the creator can add anything to that they want to show the person that is watching. Podcasting is different because it is like a television show, so a teacher is able to show and tell the student what is expected of them.

I actually do have and iPod touch and have had it for about 3 years now and I use it primarily for music and game purposes. I never thought to use it for anything else, and actually when I got it I did not even use it for games. Now that I am starting to learn more about these podcasts and what they really are, I could actually see myself using them in a classroom setting. Just as an example, right now I am taking chemistry and I am not picking it up too well, so now knowing about podcasts I could go and get a podcast of a chemistry lecture or tutor. I think there are nothing but advantages to online communication as long as you know who you are talking to such as facebook, twitter, or just emails. The times that you run into trouble is when you are on there trying to meet new people. That’s when you run into predators other problems like that. If you stick to the people you know and only use it to keep into touch or to talk about something then I think there is nothing but advantages. The only disadvantage I could think of with this would be for a person who doesn’t have internet access.
Work cited
Jonassen, D, Howland, J, Marra, R, & Crismond, D. (2008). Meaningful learning with technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Merrill/ Prentice Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment